Tuesday, April 8, 2014

On introductions

Hello? Anyone there? Of course not. I just started this thing and no one knows about it. I don't even know if I'm going to tell my mom about it and and I tell her most things. Even the time I had that highly awkward date with the super-weird dude who was clearly strung out on something. Not typical mom-fodder.

I feel like it's old-fashioned to start anything with a proper introduction now. Like, we're supposed to just cut to the chase. Be punchy! Write a list! Better yet, a listicle! But, I'd also feel weird not starting with an introduction. I can be kind of old fashioned.

Okay, so who am I, right now? I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure it out. That's where the Happiness Mixed with Existential Crises thing comes into play. One minute I think I know, the next I have no idea. This all seems terribly cliche. Thankfully, probably no one will ever read this except me.

I'm going to make a list. It's easy, it's late. I'm just trying to get the hang of writing. Maybe I'll try to write every day! That seems like one of those goals that will go the way of the "I will rise at 5am to hit the gym every morning!" goals. AKA it happens once, then never again. Maybe some pictures will spice things up for me. I'm going to keep this low-key. As if I'm writing to the aforementioned mom, or, to one of my bffs who is currently in Turkey on a Fulbright. We do not talk as much as we should.
Me, Now (I will very likely cringe at this in the very near future. Oh well):

1. I'm 23, which feels super old, even though, intellectually, I know it's not.
2. I graduated from Stanford almost 10 months ago. It's still really weird to not be in college. When does it stop being weird?
3. My blog name comes from an answer to a Buzzfeed quiz. No shame.
   Okay, a little bit of shame.
4. I work as an arts administrator. It is much more fun than the title makes it seem, mainly because I get to work with students and think of cool programs and events that will expand the expectations of art. I feel very lucky to a) have gotten a job right out of college and b) actually like said job.
5. I'm single. Like, really single. Definitely not glamorous, Carrie Bradshaw, constant casual dating, men-giving-me-sexy-side-eye single, either. (Confession: I have never seen Sex and the City, so that is a total poser reference. I'll turn in my millenial badge tomorrow.) I am unglamorously, online-dating-joining-and-quitting-after-horror-shows, laundry-avoiding single. The laundry thing might not have anything to do with the single thing, but it's a true fact about me. I hate doing laundry. It's an irrational hate (but the machines do all the work for you! says everyone ever), but it is still a hate. If I ever start saying that I find laundry relaxing, call the CDC because a zombie has taken over my body.
6. Sometimes being single feels like the worst thing in the entire world and all I want is a regular make-out partner (is that really so much to ask?). And yet, I also love the fact that being single has forced me to be independent, thrust me into uncomfortable situations, and has honestly made me a lot more self-confident than I've ever been before.
7. I am horrible at returning library books on time.
8. I have watched every single episode of Frasier at least ten times (conservative estimate). It's likely way, way more.
9. I don't really believe in guilty pleasures. If it gives you pleasure, you shouldn't feel guilty about it. So here goes, world: I WATCH THE BACHELOR.
10. Feeling suddenly super self-conscious about posting this, so I'm just going to do it before I chicken out. Which, come to think of, is basically my current life philosophy. Just do it before you chicken (or talk/intellectualize yourself) out of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment